Swu Incoming Exchange Program





Fall Semester Spring Semester
Application Deadline June 30, 2016 November 30, 2016
Recommended Arrival Date September 20 Around March 30
Orientation Dates September 23~28 April 1~8
Classes Start October 1 April 10
Classes End February 10 July 31
Vacation During Semester Winter Vacation:
December 23~January 6
Spring Vacation:
February 11~March 31 Summer Vacation:
August 1~September 30
Transcript Issue After April After October


There are 2 non-degree semester programs for international studentstochoose from, depending on their Japanese language proficiency.
SWU Academic Program(Advanced Level)

Language requirement

N2 level on the Japanese-Language Proficiency Test (JLPT)
*Student should submit the JLPT certificate when applying.

Courses / Credits

-Students should takeatleast 8 courses(up to 10 courses).(language courses are worth 1 credit, and liberal arts courses are worth 2 credits per course)
-Students choose from a list of courses opento international students (Japanese language and liberal artscourses).
-Students register for classes during orientation period.
-List of recommended courses can be found at: http://cie.swu.ac.jp/english/prospective/exchange/
-Course syllabus search website: (in Japanese)https://up.swu.ac.jp/unipa/faces/up/co/Com02401A.jsp

*Not all courses are open to international students.

Intensive Japanese Language Program(Intermediate Level)

Language requirement

Must have studied basic Japanese (JLPT N3/N4 level or CEFR A2/B1 level recommended) before arrival.

Courses / Credits

-Students take 3 mandatory Japanese language courses.
(worth atotal of 8 credits)
*Course detailson the CIE website and program brochure.
-Students may takeup to 2 elective liberal arts courses (English or Japanese *depending on students’ Japanese level) opento participants of this program.
-Students register for classes during orientation period.



There are 2 types of housing near the university campus and also an option to stay at other off-campus dormitories.
SWU Gakusei-Kaikan SWU International House Other Off-campus Dormitories
Access 3min walk from campus 3 min walk from campus 30~40min commute by train
Type Three-bedroom apartment style room shared with 2students
(approx.72㎡) -Single apartment style room (approx. 20㎡) Single roomwith shared facilities
Room Facility Bed, desk& chair,A/C,Closet, Bathroom, Shower-room, Kitchen, Fridge, Microwave Bed,desk& chair,A/C,Closet, Bathroom, Shower-room, Kitchen, Fridge, Microwave Bed, desk& chair,A/C,Closet
*Some dormitories alsohave bookshelf and IP phone
Monthly Rent JPY 65,000/person JPY 45,000/person Approx.
JPY 50,000~60,000/person
Note Two other roommatesare Japanese students. Bathroom, Shower-room, Kitchen, Laundry, and Cafeteria are shared.
Food (breakfast, dinner)served.

*All monthly rents includeutility fees


Students staying at SWU Gakusei-Kaikan are to move out for about a week after each semester for cleaning and maintenance.
<Move out period>*Fixed dates shall be announced to the student through CIE -Fall Semester: Mid March
-Spring Semester: Mid September*For substitute accommodation during those periods, please contact CIE for details.


There are a variety of events and support for exchange students.

Seasonal Events

CIE plans events, activities and field trips for students to experience Japanese culture and customs.
e.g.) -International Students’Welcome Party
-Hiking at Mt. Takao
-Visitto “Studio GhibliMuseum”
-Hatsu-Mode (Visit to shrine during New Year season)
-Visit to student club activities (Calligraphy, Kimono-fitting, etc…)

Host Sister

A student volunteer will help international students settle in and start their school life in Japan.
<Things Host Sister can help with>
-Airport Pick-up (dates should be arranged by CIE)
*Students pay their own transportation feefrom the airport
-Documentation at the ward office
-Opening a bank account
-Buying a mobile phone,etc….


There are some important procedures students are required to carry out when arriving to

Japan.Residence Card

When students enter Japan with their student visa, they will receive a “ResidenceCard.” This card notes students’ visa status, period of stay and other information related to residency.
Within 2 weeks, students are to carry out residency registration procedures atthe local wardoffice.
Students are to carry this Residence Card at alltimes during their stay in Japan, and this card will be used to prove residency when opening a bank account, signing a contract for mobile phones, etc.

National Health Insurance

All international students studying at SWU are required to become a member of the “National Health Insurance.” Students must apply at the National Health Insurance section of the ward office with their Residence Card and passport.
This insurance is valid throughout the students’ stay in Japan, and with this insurancestudents only have to pay 30% of the medical fee (some services such as health check-ups and special operations are not covered by the insurance).The monthly insurance premium differsbased on the students’ wardof residence, but are usually about JPY 2,000/month.

Part-TimeWork Permission

In order to start a part-time job, international students must apply for work permission Shikakugai katsudo kyoka (“Application for Permission to Engage in Activity Other Than That Permitted Under the Status of Residence Previously Granted”).
This can be done at the airport when entering Japan, and those who planto work part-time are strongly recommended to apply for permission at the airport. Otherwise, students have to go to the Immigration Bureau later on their own. No fee is charged for the work permission.
-International students can only work up to 28 hours per week, and up to 8 hours a day during school vacations.
-Work in the adult entertainment business is strictly prohibited.


Center for International Exchange (CIE)
Assistant Coordinator
Mitsuhiro Kurakata (Mr.)
MAIL: ciestaff@swu.ac.jp
TEL: +81-3-3411-5249
FAX: +81-3-3411-6973
“1-7-57 Taishido, Setagaya-ku
Tokyo 154-8533, JAPAN”
Website for International Students