Chiba University



Chiba University was founded in 1949, unifying several regional former national colleges and schools such as Chiba Medical College and Chiba Normal School. Its fundamental mission since then has been, as encapsulated by the inscription on the University Bell, ad altiora semper (always toward the higher), to equip students with the ability to make mature and informed judgments while nurturing and guiding their creativity. Pursuing these goals of excellence has resulted in Chiba University becoming one of the leading academic research centers of Japan.

Website of university:
Website for inbound exchange students:
Online academic calendar website:


Courses in School of Medicine and Faculty of Pharmacy Science are not open to short term exchange (J-PAC) students.
View detail:



Applicants for J-PAC must be at least second year students.
For undergraduate exchange programs (J-PAC):
・International Liberal Arts Program participants must have received Japanese language tuition of at least 150 contact hours at a recognized educational institution. Students whose Japanese proficiency level is below N2 should demonstrate sufficient ability to communicate in English.

・Japanese Studies Program participants should at least have Japanese language competence equivalent to the pass level N2 of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test administered by the Japan Foundation.

For graduate student exchange: specified requirement according to different graduate school.


From 2016, Chiba University will change to a new term system.
Term 1: April-May
Term 2: June-July
Term 3: August-September (summer programs if any)
Term 4: October-November
Term 5: December-January
Term 6: February-March (spring programs if any)
J-PAC (Japan Program at Chiba) will start in October (Term 4) and end in August. We will also accept students who enroll only in Term 4 &5, or Term 1 & 2.

Number of Semester Placements: Spring semester:2 Academic year:4
Students must submit the online application by the deadline indicated
Term 1 & 2 : September 10, 2015
Full Year / Term 4 & 5: March 10, 2016

Students should send completed applications to Chiba University through the student’s home institution.



In general, all foreign nationals who are issued a Resident Card are required to obtain National Health Insurance (Kokumin-kenko-hoken): international students and researchers are not exceptions.
This insurance not only covers 70% of your medical fees, but is required for extension of your visa. You can register for the insurance policy at your local ward/city office.
National Health Insurance (about \20,000/year) and Accident Insurance policies (about\1,500/year) are compulsory.
(the amount is subject to change)


On campus: N/A
Off campus: Most international students attending Chiba University live in privately rented accommodations (apartments). Private accommodations can be found through University COOP or local real estate agents.
You can also find basic information on finding and renting an apartment room at
Chiba University has an off-campus dormitory for international students (International House). Note, however, that since the number of rooms is very limited, not all applicants can be accommodated.


One of the advantages of living in the Chiba area is that living expenses are not as high as in the Tokyo Metropolitan area, though they are located very close to each other.
Note that it is not customary to tip in Japan. For example, you do not need to tip at restaurants or taxi drivers.
View detail:


Chiba University will apply the Certificate of Eligibility on behalf of students but students have to apply visa at the nearest Embassy of their own country.


We are going to apply JASSO scholarship for acedemic year 2016-2017.